A birthday and a head injury

Posted on Wednesday, 16 July 2014

I was scared to write about this before I could fully understand it, actually I don't think I was planning on writing about it at all. And then I thought maybe in the writing about it I might understand it, understand the circumstances of my life in this moment. If I was going to continue to be a storyteller....then I must continue to write stories, the real ones. 

It was Friday the 13th and a full moon. It's called a honey moon and it's pretty rare for a full moon to fall on both Friday the 13th and in June. And June is my birthday month so I'm going to say that it's extra rare. The last time this happened was June 13th, 1919. So why is all this relevant? I am not a superstitious person by any means, I let a black cat cross my path all the time! But after what happened to me that day I couldn't help but wonder what it all means, what is this occurrence trying to tell me. Despite superstition I do believe in signs, I think things happen to guide and point us in certain directions. 

Now after all this moon talk let me get into this story. I was sitting in a coffee shop with a good friend, we were chatting and discussing future projects as we always do. It was a beautiful day that day, the weather was pretty much perfect and I was sporting a super cute floral vintage dress and my black felt hat. I was sitting right in front of the open window, back facing the window as I was fully engaged in my conversation. Then out of nowhere with no warning sign I feel a sudden blow to the head. Commotion erupts in the coffee shop and I quickly try to decipher what happened as blood starts to run down my face (it was a metal chair thrown at my head). Instinctively I moved to the floor, I was sitting in a chair so the only logical reason I must have done this was to prevent myself from falling far if I were to pass out. So there I was sitting on the floor, hand to my bloody head, watching the blood pour around me (sorry for the gruesome visuals). I was in shock and could only think of the worst: I was going to have a brain injury, life would never be the same. A lot was happening while I was sitting there, someone from the coffee shop ran after the guy, another person was on the phone with the paramedics, my friend was on the phone with my parents and the most amazing saviour (yes she was my saviour in that moment) came to my aid and talked me through everything. She asked me questions, kept me calm and reassured me that everything was going to be alright. To this day I don't know who that girl is but know that I will always be grateful for the kindness and compassion she showed me that day. 

It's weird not for one moment was I angry with that man, I know and did know that he has a mental illness and his pains run deep. All I wish for him is to find solitude, to find a glimmer of love because I think thats what he really needs. And I was shown so much love that day, love from all the people concerned for me in that coffee shop, love from the paramedics and love from my friends and family. The interesting part to this whole thing was I am totally fine! Yes I had a scrape and a bump on my head but that has now healed and no brain injury, no concussion, it's as if nothing even happened. I remember in that moment the only thing that mattered, the only thing I wanted was to be healthy. It's interesting that when something traumatic happens to you you go back to your basic needs, all the other worries in life (like not getting the part or being dumped) doesn't matter. When we have our health anything is still possible, and you know even when we don't have our health anything is still possible because of one thing: love. 

A week later my dearest friends surprised me with a birthday party (one they were planning before the injury) and I was reminded again of the wonderful things I do have in my life. Gratitude can pull you out of some dark places. So when I am feeling dumb, or not good enough or not cool enough I can remind myself of that moment where all that mattered is my health, which I have! I still believe there is a greater purpose for the thing that happened to me, what that is exactly I still don't know... but my eyes are open.



Post a Comment