New York, I like you

Posted on Wednesday, 24 September 2014

I had been planning to attend The People's Climate March from the moment I heard about it. For a long time I have been interested in environmental concerns and activism but never really knew how to help, what to do and how I could make a difference? I still don't know and am constantly challenging myself to make changes but I was tired of just talking about it and wanted to really do something, so I went to New York and marched! This trip was part film project (more on that in the coming months) and part need to feel a part of the solution. The adventure consisted of my friends and favourite married couple Christoph and Katie and myself, all crammed into my little Volkswagen golf departing from Hamilton at 1am. We drove through the night, essential and was better in theory, not ideal in reality. We arrived in Brooklyn in the morning, stopped off at our airbnb, tried not to wake the punk rock group that had rented the airbnb from the night before, I put on some makeup to conceal the bags under my eyes and we hopped on the subway for the march. No rest for the artist activist. 
When we arrived at the march location, I could feel the energy shift and see the magnitude of this event - we were going to make history. There were so many streets in downtown New York blocked off, barricades and streams of people filling every inch of the streets. We entered one part of the march, there was no way to really know which part you were a part of and it really didn't matter, every group was welcoming, everyone in high spirits. There was dancing, clever chanting, ever more clever signs, and pure merriment as people banded together all for one cause. It was incredible to see the dedication and the hope that exuded from every single person. There were children marching for their future and grandparents marching for their grandchildren. This was a march for all people and included all people. I felt proud to be marching among them, the whole experience left me with a great deal of hope. It also showed me that everyone can do something, even if you think its small or wont make a difference, it does! We need small differences, the world depends on it. 

We completed the march nearly 4 hours later, a little tired (ok A LOT tired) but it was all worth it. Heading back to Brooklyn only one thing was on our mind...pizza. We had the best dinner at the famous Roberta's, rustic interior, hipster servers, craft beers and awesome pizza. Still running on no sleep we mustered up enough energy to go out for the evening because how often do you get to run off to New York for two days? 
We finally got to sleep that night and in the morning I felt like a human again. It's amazing what a difference sleep and a good shower and a good coffee can do. We packed our things and said goodbye to Robert our wonderful, musically gifted (he serenaded us with his banjo) host and his charming dog momo. One last stop before exploring upstate New York, lunch at Pies n Thighs. As we waited for our table I glance across the street and notice a beautiful macramé hanging in the store. To my surprise it was the store I have wanted to visit for such a long time now called Species by the Thousands. That's the power of being exactly where you should be, without even trying I found the store I wanted to go to! After a quick shopping spree I joined my travel family and had the best chicken sandwich of all time. Their poultry is air-chilled from a local farm, humanely raised and handled and have no antibiotics or hormone supplements, the way chicken should always be! I was eating a chicken from a happy farm, the only way I want to eat it from now on. 

We continued our road trip to Phoenicia, New York. Katie and I had a fun time trying to pronounce the town name, we still can't do it. I heard about this beautiful wooded escape from the power of instagram (thanks Fitzroy Boutique). It was as charming as I imagined. A perfect escape for anyone that loves quiet nights on the porch, morning hikes and beautiful camping locations. We were most excited to check out the famous Phoenicia Diner because it looked perfectly retro and the menu is heaven. We arrived at the diner 5 minutes after they closed because unlike the hustle of New York, places in Phoenicia close at 5pm. We decided to do a quick photo shoot instead and continued our exploring of the town. There is a unique charm about this sleepy town that I cant really pinpoint, maybe its just a safe and cozy feeling I get while walking around the streets. Those who want to disconnect from technology, this is the place! We couldn't get the radio and there was no cell service, we were happily in the twilight zone. 
This was a special trip filled with hope, determination, creativity and love. Travelling with Christoph and Katie made me really excited for marriage one day. The way they support each others dreams is so beautiful, they are true companions that compliment each other in the right ways. I never once felt out of place, just a sense of ease with them. They really inspire me in so many ways and I am so grateful to have had this experience with them. 

It is so important to run off, away from your comfort and follow your heart. It will always lead you to unexpected but magical places, like finding a charming mountain town...catskills mountain I will be back again some day. 




Post a Comment