aberfoyle antique market

Posted on Monday, 20 October 2014


It is pretty obvious that I take my antiquing seriously. This is something I have loved to do for as long as I can remember. I think it comes from my childhood days of exploring abandoned and historic homes. There was this abandoned house at the end of my street that happened to be the oldest house in Halton, built in 1816. I would walk down through the pitch black cellar and then up the stairs to the house and open it for the rest of my friends, this seems terrifying to me now. We would explore the house, looking through boxes of old magazines and photos and checking out the children's height markings on the wall, dating back to at least 100 years. This one time on the property we wanted to scare off the boys who came to spy on us and we pretended to be witches holding a seance in the middle of the big oak trees. 

I have been to the Aberfoyle market before but haven't been back in a couple years. My antiquing use to be a solo affair but I have since found friends who also love it, so Andrea and I woke up bright and early and made our way to the market (after a night of watching the new Nicholas Sparks movie, I realize we sound like 80 year old craft club women). I was on a mission to find an old but functioning film camera and a turquoise ring, both were found.  The market was bigger than I remembered and had a combination of indoor and outdoor vendors. I could spend hours perusing the old treasures, asking about their origins and getting lost in an old world. Give me an antique market, fresh coffee and an antiquing companion and I have my perfect Sunday. 




Post a Comment