dont think twice

Posted on Tuesday, 8 September 2015


"I have studied many times the marble which was chiseled for me - A boat with a furled sail at rest in a harbor. In truth it pictures not my destination, But my life. For love was offered me and I shrank from its disillusionment; Sorrow knocked at my door, but I was afraid; Ambition called to me, but I dreaded the chances. Yet all the while I hungered for meaning in my life. And now I know we must lift the sail, And catch the winds of destiny, wherever they drive the boat. To put meaning in one's life may end in madness, But life without meaning is the torture of restlessness and vague desire - It is the boat longing for the sea and yet afraid." Edgar Lee Masters, Spoon River Anthology. 

There we are sitting in the club house watching the dusk roll in and drinking three vastly different beers on a porch adorned with chipped window panes, and our Bartender is reciting a verse from the Spoon River Anthology. He has memorized every word and speaks with elegance and ease. This unexpected life lesson was ignited from Sara's newfound obsession with the world of sailing, after a day of sailing. We were grateful to witness and experience the love of sailing of our Robin; it's her happy place, her world of infinite possibility and her place for testing her resilience. To witness a friend's truest desire and love is a spectacular thing. We all have those places, those portals into the realm of joy where we feel the most alive and that we have come home. For Robin that place is sailing in the open water, for Sara it's a busy and loving restaurant, for me it's surrounded by film trucks. 

We set out for the day to enjoy the water and the beauty of this perfect weather for sailing. What we gained was so much more and truly unexpected. I understand this love now, sailing holds many lessons and truths and is truly meditative. A sailor's life is a merry life indeed. Sara and I received a crash course from Admiral Blarney (Robin's father Trevor) and enjoyed our time at the helm, and shrieked with joy when we were tacking! In sailing like in life (yes I am making the comparison) you cannot control the winds, the conditions, or even the other boats - and nothing is ever perfect, but you can move with the sails, do the best that you can and flow with the moment. The best thing about being out in the water, isolated yet so connected to nature, is that nothing else really matters but that moment, there is so much freedom and clarity in mind. Robin ventures fearlessly in the open water, letting the sails guide her and controlling the winds with her intuition and never thinking twice. 


Post a Comment