PRACTICAL MAGIC

Posted on Saturday, 24 October 2015


What can I say, whenever October hits all I want to do is dress like a witchy Stevie Nicks....Thankfully I have incredibly talented friends like Jordan de Ruiter who indulge my desires and create beautiful pieces like this custom made dress (which will be available in her shop soon!). I collaborated on this styling shoot with one of my best friends, and soon-to-be travel partners (Costa Rica is coming soon...) Alison Sharp for the photos and makeup!! 

This fall I have been contemplating the idea of desire over attainment. Is our happiness a result of our desires or our attainment of the desires? And what happens when we get what we really want? As an actress and creative I struggle with the entitlement of such title. Always desiring and striving to be better, look better, create better, and succeed better. After listening to a podcast interview with Elizabeth Gilbert at least 5 times now, I feel a sense of reassessment and peace in knowing that all creatives at every level ask these same questions. As Elizabeth puts it "we are entitled to our desires, not the outcomes" which is the great magical mystery of life. We don't know how something will turn out, we aren't entitled to know. That is my interpretation of practical magic (it's not just a movie that I am in love with) it is a beautiful phrase we can utilize in life. Magic can always be found and experienced but rarely anticipated, we can't force it and we can only live every day enjoying our desires. In the podcast she speaks of the creative life not as the holy grail but as breadcrumbs, following those instincts and little signs to guide you through. Finding gentleness for ourselves through our day to day and being more than ok with where we are at in our lives. We are students in this life, we get to expand and learn and grow, that is our right, that is what we are entitled to. Always create for the sake of creating, you never know where it will lead you and where you will find magic. 






Styling: Ana Alic
Photos and Makeup: Alison Sharp
Dress: Jordan de Ruiter

Post a Comment